Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Computer Whiz’s

Tonight I was letting the boys have some computer time. They beg for computer time. It blows my mind that they are not even 5 years old and use the computer without any help from me. All I do in open the internet and go to pbskids.org (a great site for small kids). Then I set the timer and leave the room. They point and click and play whatever games they want to. Did I mention they’re only 4 and a half?

That makes me think back to my first time using a computer on my own. I was a freshman in college and needed to write a paper for English 101. So I was 18 my first time. I am sure many of you kids reading this were much younger than I was your first time using a computer. At the same time some of the more mature readers may have been a little older.

This may not seem fair because the younger generation has had more opportunities at a younger age to use a computer. But that will not be an issue for much longer. After all Apple has been around for 25 years now.

Maybe you are a computer whiz. I would like to take a survey and hear your story. When was your first time using a computer by yourself? Leave a comment or send me and
email and I’ll post it for all to see.

3 comments:

Dana Duggins said...

I used a computer for the 1st time in probably 2nd or 3rd grade. It was an apple and our school only had one. It was a really big deal to get chosen to have computer time. I remember the disks were 5.25 inch floppy and everything was really slow. I don't remember what I did on the computer. I just remember sitting there looking at it.

Ronnie Pinyan - Pastor said...

I am still trying to figure out the computer. :) When I get stuck, and don't know what to do, or which way to go, I yell for Karen. She is my helper and adviser. When I am at work, it's Doug or Jon.

Anonymous said...

I went to one of the first junior high schools in NYC that had a computer lab. Yup! It was an old apple with the green blinking cursor and the big floppies. I was on the yearbook committee and we used the computer for it. We were pioneers! I remember having computer programming class with the If then, and Go to statements. I had no idea then how this would be part of God's plan for me. I am grateful to be a part of HRCC Riders4Christ and my comfort with a computer has given me the opportunity to help with the blog site for that "small" group.